California Man Kills His Mother After Arguing Over a Video Game Headset

Matthew Nicholson, 28, is accused of killing his 68-year-old mother, Lydia Nicholson, after arguing with her over a broken video game headset on January 11.

According to the Ceres Police Department, Nicholson was playing video games in his bedroom when he got upset and started yelling. His mother went to check on him, and the two began to argue, resulting in Nicholson breaking his headset. Nicholson blamed his mother for the broken headset, then threatened to kill both her, and his 81-year-old father, Loren Nicholson.

“Nicholson then retrieved a handgun from the home and fired two rounds into the wall inside the home and then shot the victim in the head,” police said.

After Nicholson shot his mother, police said he tried to kill his father too, according to Heavy. However, the gun jammed, so Nicholson’s father was able to wrestle it away from him.

Nicholson “fled the scene in a vehicle and went to a relative’s home” police said, and officers located the vehicle in Riverbank where Nicholson was taken into custody.

Nicholson worked as a paraprofessional at Sipherd Elementary School in Modesto up until last year.

“None of you guys even know Matt. He worked hard and was a great paraprofessional,” Manuel Alejandro Gutierrez said, responding to comments on Facebook. “Mental instabilities are what they are, but accusing and assuming you knew this man from just a picture and short press release is downright disgusting. Prayers go out to the families affected, as his friends are too.”

Nicholson’s sister, Autumn Nicholson White, said that her mother was a wonderful person who loved her children and provided a family atmosphere.

“R.I.P. Mom. I will forever love you, my best friend, my chosen one, my always, my forever, my protector, my motivation, my blessing, and now my guardian angel,” Autumn wrote on Facebook. “My heart is shattered and I promise your memory will forever live on in me, Dad, Cameron and Chris. You’ve earned your wings, fly and be free.”

Matthew Nicholson is currently being held in Stanislaus County Jail without bail. Anyone who has information related to this case should contact Detective Bryan Ferreira at 209-538-5616.